EXHIBITION IN CROYDON - A HUGE SUCCESS:
The exhibitions feature our Kathakali costumes, 200 year old head-dresses, masks, hangings and photographs. In recent years our heritage projects have included other traditions where comparisons to Kathakali can be explored. There was such a demand to see the exhibition that the Museum of Croydon extended the dates unti 16th September 2022.
These are your comments...
LIFE BEHIND THE COSTUME
MUSEUM OF CROYDON EXHIBITION
APRIL – SEPTEMBER 2022
- It is so wonderful to see the displays. The jewellery, the bright vibrant costumes are amazing.
- I love the exhibition, a completely different experience for me
- An explosion of colours, art and culture
- I loved seeing the beautiful costumes and jewellery
- Interesting, colourful, lots of information
- I loved it
- I loved seeing the beautiful costumes and jewellery Nishi – London. 2022
- Amazing job! Lots of insight, keep up the great work and looking forward for more such exhibitions. Thank you! Shobithan – London - 2022
- Very interesting. Impressed with the Riesco gallery – well worth seeing. Melvin – Essex. - 2022
- Very enjoyable. Beautiful costumes, some interesting exhibits. – Rachel – London. - 2022
- It was a lovely exhibition, and I learned a lot about Kathakali. Thank you. Denica – Croydon. - 2022
- I have been living I the UK since 2012 ever I’ve been living in Wimbledon, but time has come for a change and this evening if everything goes well, I am going to hire a van and make a big move to Croydon [folks are in sheer shock – move from Wimbledon to Croydon!] Exhibitions like “Kathakali” shows me it is going to be worthwhile! Such a beautiful exhibition! Empowering and very inspirational. This is about life – many thank you – Bernadett – Wimbledon. - 2022
- I like Mohinattam, is the female classical dance of Kerala. The clothes is very nice – colour and materials. I like the handmade hats.
- I like Indian culture. Many colours are used in the clothes and the clothes are beautiful.
- I am proud of the exhibition it`s looks nice and wonderful.
- So pleased I visited, very impressive and colourful. The Eiesco was especially interesting. Also enjoyed Kathakali – very special. Tina – Chigwell, Essex. - 2022
- I loved the attention to detail, to re-create the atmosphere of an ancient culture. Caterina – London. - 2022
- It`s very interesting exhibition. I like the bright colours, and the details. It`s really nice. The exhibition is very nice, it is the first time that I saw such beautiful clothes.
- Where can more information and local links be found for Christian services; ie; East Syrian etc? More details of Mapilla community need to be elaborated rather than focusing exclusively on Islam. Neil O`Dedra – Middlesex - 2022
- More information on St Thomas [Mar Thoma Nasarani] Christians required. There could be more signing. Shreenil O`Dedra Middlelsex - 2022
Reply; These are very valid points as the Mapilla Muslims of Kerala played an important role in Indian independence, the economy, culture, cuisine and language of Kerala. The Mar Thoma Nasaranis also have contributed to the culture of Kerala. Both subjects are huge and could easily accommodate a whole museum. This exhibition features the Kathakali costumes, however I will consider the Muslim and Christina communities on a deeper level if I decide to do a project that incorporates Kerala as a whole. - Kalamandalam Barbara Vijayakumar
- Lovely things – Tanisha - 2022
- Thank you for the amazing display
- Thank you for letting me try on your costumes. – Jessica Emeron - 2022
- Amazing. Happy to find the Kerala culture in Croydon. – Prof Y Mathew - 2022
- Retired Vice Principal. CMS College Kottayan, Kerala.
- Thanks – very interesting and very colourful – David Jones and family. - 2022
- Wonderful masquerade exhibit. Also try Jonkonon + Kumina + Sokani – Douglas Camp. All good wishes – Wonderful - Nana Neville Miquotle – London. - 2022
- To increase footfall - put arrows on doors leading to WC eg; Free Exhibition This Way. All Welcome”. Gina – Croydon. - 2022
- How lovely to see the exhibition rooms open and filled with people. And what a spectacular exhibition the Kathakali is – such beautiful colours, intricate workmanship, and historical interest. More exhibitions please – we have great organisers and curators – Croydon wants to see their talents being used. Jerry – Croydon. - 2022
- The costumes were beautiful. I wish I could see the people dance in them.
- Fascinating stuff – amazing.
East Meets West Exhibition Worthing Museum and Art Gallery - Feb - May 2015
“I like the contrast of subjects from different places, painting with costumes, the colours, the film - documentary, the exhibition which was lively and engaging”.
Andrew Grott - 2015
“The exhibition was colourful and exciting to walk into - I really enjoyed it”.
Trinity Cotton - 2015.
“This was a mind blowing experience, bringing together an exhibition which linked the Indian, Romany, Morris and Shepherding culture. Very moving - Thank you”.
Merry - 2015
“As usual your exhibition was wonderful”.
Jean Stirling 2015
“Fantastic, stunning show - Thank you everybody”
Alistair Percival - 2015
“What a fantastic display, so interesting, colourful”
Pam Bennett - 2015
“Excellent exhibition, great to see the power of costumes exhibited. Clothes tell so many stories - thank you”
June Collins - 2015
“Brilliant exhibition. Having been to Bali and seen the Monkey King Dances it brings back memories”.
M Brewster - 2015
“We have just come back from southern India where we saw the Kathakali. Dancers, so really good to see the exhibition here. Particularly interested in the links with gypsies, morris dancing and the Shepherds of West Sussex"
“Fascinating and inspiring - Matt [43 years]
Ooooh - baby Lyra [7 months]
Wonderful and moving - Heather [39 years]
Amazing Amelia [4 years]
“What an amazing performance, such beautiful costumes, Worthing is very lucky”
“Very fascinating - I have learned a lot – Inspirational"
“Wonderful, informative and historical - thank you” - 2015. The best exhibition I have ever seen"
Worthing Museum 2015
“It was wonderful to see so many cultures coming together and finding that the costumes and cultures can be inter linked”
Barbara Austin - Sompting Village Morris Dancers - Worthing Museum 2015
“Thank you for a fantastic day, amazing costumes and incredible performance. Very educational and interesting.”
Paul and Julie, Bournemouth. Worthing Museum 2015.
“What a wonderful evening of cultures from around the world. The costumes are amazing with so much creative work. The star of the night was the performer who brought the costumes alive”.